Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Escape From New York (1981)

     I read a lot about movies and what's coming up and when something of interest to me is gonna be made.  I could care less about the people who play in these films so I don't read about their personal lives cuz I don't care.  There are plenty of actors out there that are complete morons in their personal lives but make some pretty spectacular film features.  That is another story for another time though.  So I was perusing the normal websites I tend to visit and I started reading on a few of them that there is an attempt in Hollywood to find someone to play Snake Plissken.  I couldn't find out if they wanted to make a sequel or a remake but I'm sure they will call it a reimagining.  I am not fully against remakes as I do watch all of them for the most part but I always have a sense of dread every single time I hear of one.  Like Mad Max for instance, hated the idea but the trailer for it has sold me quickly.  I just hope it's good.  So as most people know already, Kurt Russell is Snake Plissken and will always be known as Snake Plissken.  So who is gonna be the guy that decides his career needs a boost?  Remains to be seen!
     Okay so this film, Escape From New York was released when I was a mere pup.  I was around 4 or so when it came out so I never saw it til later on in life.  Probably the early 90's is what I'm thinking.  This flick was written and directed by the Legendary John Carpenter and his overall sense of dramatic and creepy atmosphere can be seen throughout the entire movie.  This was made two feature films after the ever spectacular Halloween (1978).  The film in the middle was The Fog (1980) and didn't do all that well so Carpenter had to make a huge one and he did it quite well.  The story is written well and the dialog is believable as it is a futuristic take on the US. 
     The acting is, for the most part, done well but A few people here and there do a slight over exaggeration type of thing throughout.  Kurt Russell does what he normally does and Donald Pleasence does great here as well.  Lee Van Cleef, whom all can remember from the Man With No Name trilogy starring Clint Eastwood, plays a good douchebag even though he has limited screen time.  Ernest Borgnine is a bit of a legend in his own right and his take on the Cabbie here is almost a show stealer.  Harry Dean Stanton is here and Adrienne Barbeau's large globes or on display.  And don't forget Isaac Hayes as the Duke of New York.
     Some of the effects are a bit outdated, I mean come on it was made in 1980 so everyone has to put that in the equation when they watch this.  I like the effects, they are are miniatures and some cheesy computer effects but it stays with the whole feel of the picture.
     I would like to point out one thing that has always stood out to me with this movie and that is the absolutely fantastic musical score.  That is another one of John Carpenter's signature traits.  Seriously though who can't remember the piano from Halloween?  Escape has an equally great score and should be recognized.
     I will recommend this to anyone that likes good old fashioned action films or maybe good old fashioned action films set in a science fiction world.  For those that want to know it has some language present and some violence but it isn't gory at all.  Also one last thing, if you are gonna watch it try to get an HD 1080P copy as this movie is really dark but you can see it well with 1080P.
     Let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment