Search This Blog

Friday, August 8, 2014

Get On Up (2014) Review!

     I have been waiting for this movie ever since I first heard of it.  Then I saw the trailer a while back and I knew I had to see it.  Well, I finally did!  I would like to say that I like James Brown's music, but I wouldn't be called a hardcore fan or anything like that.  I just happened to enjoy his music when it comes up in the rotation of my mp3 player.  And on kinda the same note I really love biopic films and well, this is one of them.  I will even watch biopics of people I have never heard of before.  I suppose I should rephrase that a bit.  I love biopic films that are based on musicians and sports figures.
     The movie here was directed by Tate Taylor and as I have never seen a film by him before I think alot of people out there should remember him from directing The Help a few years back.  Apparently that movie is pretty good but I can't say for my point of view.  I can tell you that for this movie I think he did a rather weird job.  I think overall this movie is done incredibly well but something I have a bit of a problem with is the jumping timeline thing.  It starts in the 1980's when James Brown had his famous cop chase and mug shot.  Next scene is somewhere in the 1940's, then after that the 1930's, back to the 60's, 50's, 70's and then back to the 30's.  It also has a weird way of showing a scene.  We get one scene started then it cuts to a different era altogether and at some point later in the film it goes back to that same scene it started awhile back so it takes the dramatic impact right out of it.  I think it would have been way more effective if they had just film it in sequential order.
     There is one very bright sparkling ray of sunshine in this flick and I don't think I will soon forget it.  Chadwick Boseman plays the Godfather of Soul and I thought he was gonna do okay from seeing the trailers but I wasn't ready for just how good he did.  He really does become the man.  Everytime he spoke I was just blown away by how much he sounded just like him.  The singing was done with voice over or lip syncing, whatever you want to call it, but the musical sequences are pretty spectacular to watch even though Boseman isn't the one singing.  But I think we can all be in agreement in saying that in all honesty noone alive can really sing like James Brown.  I also thought it was impossible for anybody to do the footwork of the legend but Mr. Boseman does a great job.  I think he is about as good as anyone could be following in James' footsteps. 
     Recommendations I can give for this are anyone that likes a movie with some great live performances and some excellent acting all the way through.  There is some really good comedic relief and it will make you laugh out loud, well it did for me anyway.  Now would be a good time to bring up the racism that is in it but it goes with the time frame the movie takes place in and the place this country was in at the time.  There is also some domestic violence type stuff as well for anyone that doesn't want to see that.  This is a great dramatic film and definitely worth the time and but it has the odd time jumping thing but if you can handle that then no harm done.
     Let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment