Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) Review!

     I have been a die hard TMNT fan since the early days!  What I mean by "the early days" is the comic books not the cartoon.  There a whole lot of people claiming to be fans from the beginning and they are flat out lying cuz they think the cartoon was the beginning.  It may be true that the cartoon made it absolutely humongous but the comic books are really where it's at.  I still have a few comic books from back in the day and one happens to be a #2 of these guys and it's signed by Kevin Eastman so as you may think it has some sentimental attachment.  I remember when I was growing up I was really into art and I was always drawing something.  I loved drawing comic characters and my pets but I always fell back on the turtles because they were one of my favorites.  Then Hollywood made a live action film and I won't lie, I think it is awesome still to this day.  The sequels were good too but only from a real fans perspective. So now we get a new Ninja Turtle film and it is live action again and the Turtles themselves are motion captured CGI creations.
     The director of this film was Jonathan Liebesman and he is the guy responsible for some really bad movies.  Lets list just a couple of them shall we?  Wrath of The Titans...beyond terrible! Battle Los Angeles...had potential but they decided to not really show the aliens and stop the camera from moving around...so terrible!  Now he was given the job of directing TMNT and he didn't do as bad as he previously did during other movies but he still didn't do a very good job.  The director has the power to change some things as he sees fit because it is actually his production.  The writers were apparently sleeping when they made this one.  It is not written very well.  And it's not like I feel this way because I have been a turtle fan for most of my life.  I have learned to be open about newer interpretations of properties.  Some times though, I can't forgive when they change too much or a huge moment in the story of a character.  But, the story is pretty weak here and dialog isn't too good either.  The major thing I thought pretty wrong about this is the turtles themselves are like 8 feet tall and tower over all humans.  Shredder is completely botched and to make him even remotely menacing they made him like 9 feet tall.  I mean they could have made the turtles the same height as a normal human so they wouldn't have to make Shredder so big.  And besides, Shredder has practically no story at all...he just seems to be there.
     The special effects are pretty okay and that's all.  I was hoping after seeing the trailers that they were just not completely finished effects like so many other movies but they're not.  What you see in the trailer is what you get in the feature.  Kind of upsetting considering this is the age of computer effects in film.  Sometimes though I can admit that they look decent but overall I would say it is just too little or too much depending on the scene.  The voiceover was done really well for the turtles but I just think the voices themselves should have been changed.  With one exception and that is Michaelangelo, he was done pretty perfect and actually he was the right size too.  If they changed one voice I wouldn't even have brought it up at all.  That voice in question would be Leonardo's.  So let me get something straight here...the filmmakers wanted to have a commanding voice for the leader of the turtles so naturally they decided it should be Johnny Knoxville?  I'm sorry but I am kinda lost at who thought that was a good idea.
     I recommend this to people that like an action film with some comedy in it but be warned though most of the action scenes are CGI full scenes.  There are a few times that it is really funny like the elevator scene for one.  If you're a turtle purest then you can either watch it or just steer clear of it.  I liked it for the most part just wish they changed somethings here and there. 
     Let me know what you think in the comments below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment