Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Mystery, Alaska (1999) Review!

        

     I love sports movies!  I especially love underdog sports films in the style of Rocky.  This film happens to be one of those and it happens to also be my favorite one...probably.  I was in the military at the time this was released and I have watched it many times since but while I was in the Corps, for downtime at Camp Pendleton, me and a few of my fellow Marines would play hockey.  Street hockey with a puck, but hockey nonetheless.  We played alot, and sometimes for hours on end, and also sometimes while getting sloshed.  We used to have what I dubbed "National Cheapshot Day", where we played with no rules whatsoever.  This story really has no baring or effect on the film in question here but I just thought I would throw it in there.  Good memories from a long time ago.
     With this movie coming out in 1999, the biggest actor at the time was a tie for two people.  Those being Hank Azaria and Colm Meaney.  Yeah, so it's not a star studded cast but I should mention that Russell Crowe is the real star.  So, why did I not add him to the list of big named actors?  Well, this was the year before he had his humongous break with Gladiator.  I do suppose Burt Reynolds should be considered big named but I happen to forget about him for a bit there.  Every single actor in this movie does a great job and should be recognized for doing that.  This is a film that is not very known but the few people that have seen it, love it.  
     I feel some films are unfairly judged or received at the beginning of their life.  This movie didn't even make back half of the budget used in production.  That's just sad because as far as sports films go this is by far one of the best.  It is written well, acted well and directed well.  It is very dramatic at times and just plain laugh out loud funny at other moments.  And not to mention the spectacular hockey that is throughout the film.  The final game of the film is by far more intense than the final fight in Rocky!  I think everybody that loves sports movies can't go wrong with this one but if you like watching with your family I have to warn you of a few things.  There is a bit of language here and also some adult intimate type situations also so you know.
     If you have seen this I would love to hear from you in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment