Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Guardians of The Galaxy (2014) Review!

     I have to start this one off with a little tiny bit of background, I guess I do that with all of them but this one really needs it.  What we are really talking about here is the Marvel Cinematic Universe, right?  So with that being mentioned I have to say I have been pretty let down in this arena for quite some time now with the exception of the Captain America films.  Those two are spectacular and the second one was even better than the awesome first one, which is more than I can say for the Iron Man series.  Right there is where I lost some people because most people I have run into love that series.  I love the first one, it was so well done that I am not surprised that Marvel started this universe with that one.  Too bad the next two were so bad and I can't get my money back for those.  The Thor movies were both good, not great but just good.  I don't even like the character of Loki but Tom Hiddleston made him such a great one that the films are in the good arena.  I really wish they would make more Hulk films because he is my favorite and I have loved all things with him in it and everybody needs to face this small simple fact...without the Hulk in The Avengers movie than the movie would have been shit, he stole the show.  Now Marvel wants to branch out and continue this cinematic universe they began by giving some more less known characters their day in the sunshine, so we are given Guardians of The Galaxy!  Why they chose this I will never know but I can tell you this...That was the greatest idea they ever had.
     The movie stars Chris Pratt as the infamous Star Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, David Bautista as Drax, The Destroyer, Bradley Cooper as Rocket and Vin Diesel as Groot.  That's only the good guys I just named.  There are a slew of other characters that have just been introduced here but the film doesn't even seem like it is bulging at all.  Most of the time when filmmakers put this many characters in a picture it bombs hardcore!  This film has some great acting in it and the comedy relief is so perfect for a film this intense.  Every actor seems incredibly genuine I only have one semi-dislike and that is Lee Pace who plays Ronan, The Accuser.  I think the character would have been done much better by someone else.  I have noone in mind just someone else.  He just seems to go a bit too much over the top.  I was really happy to finally see Thanos in all his cosmic awesomeness!
     GOTG is directed by James Gunn.  He is the guy behind a film I really enjoyed called Slither back in 2006.  What's that you ask?  Exactly!  About five other people have seen the movie other than myself.  It was wicked good though to say the least.  Other than that he did a bunch of smaller even more less known films than that one.  He did an absolute knockout with Guardians.  Gunn was also the writer of the film and even that was done so well that when the comedy relief shows itself it doesn't take you right out of the movie, you just laugh and go to the next scene.  I personally loved all the 1980's pop culture references. Kevin Bacon! Priceless!
     The real spectacle here has got to be the effects as it takes place on Earth for about five seconds so the rest is all on fictional planets or in space ships.  You really can't tell that alot of it is fake, it is that good.  One of the better Sci-fi looking films I have ever seen in my days on this planet.  I want to see it again already!
     The are a few more things I would like to add to this and that is I am so glad that this movie made an ass ton of money in the theater on opening weekend because I would like to see a sequel and it appears we will get one in 2017 and then eventually they will get together with the Avengers.  That movie should be about four hours long or at least two movies in a series because that will be alot of character to try and smash together in a two hour film.  Another thing I can say is, and I will be very truthful here, this movie is what the prequel Star Wars film should have been like.  Complete and utter epicness!  I know epicness isn't even a word but it fits here so I am using it.
     I can recommend this to people that like good old fashioned action/sci-fi films of the old days.  If you really love the Marvel movies than watch this too but be warned that the only thing connecting this to the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a short scene with Thanos, whom we all saw during the end credits scene of Avengers.  Guardians is better then most other films in the MCU though, and I really mean that.  You do not want to miss this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment