Search This Blog

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Old Now, But Metallica Is Never Through!

   

     I am gonna get something out straight away...I love Metallica,  the real Metallica that is.  Not the "Load" and "Reload" Metallica, because frankly I believe those 2 albums should be banished from existence, they were a complete let down for me as I have listened to them since the beginning.  Kill 'Em All...Awesome, Ride the Lightning...Awesome, Master of Puppets...Awesome, ...And Justice For All...Awesome, The Black Album...1/2 Awesome...then they took a massive stinking shit on their ability to make great music.  St. Anger had 1 or maybe 2 tunes I like but the album's instruments sounded weird to me, almost like it was missing something.  Death Magnetic is Metallica trying to be "The" Metallica we all remember from the old days.  It has some pretty awesome guitar riffs and the percussion is back to not sounding fake, the lyrics are miles better then the 2 shit albums and James has started to yell a bit more like in the old days and do the "singing" thing.  Because let's all face the music here...get ready for it...James Hetfield cannot sing, but he can belt out a friggin' tune though.  I just hate it when he tries to "sing".  Also 1 more simple thing, Robert Trujillo is way outta place in this band.  I really miss Jason Newsted who took the late, great Cliff Burton's place.  Anyway, those are just my petty problems with the band.
     I have seen them live a few times and I gotta say they are by far the greatest live band I have seen, and I have been to many a concert.  The thing I love about them live is the fact they know what people want to hear.  They play alot of the older Metallica songs that made them famous to begin with and very minimal of the "shit" Metallica that pulled in people that haven't heard the original stuff, and by "original" I mean the first 5 albums.  So you still have to endure that excrement of songs called The Memory Remains and Fuel and Unforgiven 2.  But, Mostly they play the great stuff that made them known.
     Now I suppose I should get onto Through The Never.  This is unlike any of Metallica's full length videos to date, it's not a documentary like Some Kind of Monster and A Year and a Half in The Life of..., and it's not a live video either like Binge and Purge and Cunning Stunts.  It is a hybrid.  It is part live footage and part movie...yeah, the kind with actors and shit.  So I guess it could be called a really long music video, one that dwarfs Michael Jackson's Thriller.  It is pretty awesome though.  If you love the band obviously I don't have to say watch it because you probably already have or plan to anyway.  It has cool visuals in the acting parts and a kinda cool story that goes along with the songs they perform.  I would have to say check it out to all that like good music and interesting themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment