Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How to remove a Splinter!

     I literally just finished watching this flick for the second time and I knew there was a reason I left this little known low budget film in my collection, it is pretty spectacular.
     There is essentially 3 main characters and one I know their name and the other 2 I have only seen them in other films in the past.  The one I do know should be obvious, it's Jill Wagner, most people would know her for be a host on the TV show Wipeout.  She does a decent job as an actress in this and she isn't too hard on the eyes at all.  The 2 male leads in this do a good job as well.
     The story for this little film is really one that has been done a hundred times before, well in horror anyway.  People driving, pop tire, get attacked and then find shelter get stuck there.  But this one is pretty interesting, for me anyway.
     Alot of movies use CGI as the tool to make their special effects and alot of filmmakers think that it makes it look more real.  For some things I may be on their side with, like inanimate objects I think look great with computer effects.  Characters, for the most part, and moving objects tend to look rather fake in my eyes.  The effects in this film are done primarily with practical effects and I believe it shines because of it. Some films that have a "thing" as its main character like to make sure the camera is completely unstable or when it is on screen it is at night and in the rain as to cover up the fact that the "thing" doesn't look remotely real to begin with.  In Splinter though for the most part when it is on screen it looks good with good lighting, with the exception of a few time when the "thing" has invaded a host and it is supposed to be a very tense moment so the filmmaker decided to use the shaky cam to film it.  This is a camera concept I cannot fathom because it makes some parts completely unwatchable.  Maybe the film can be tense if you just film it differently because the shaky shit does absolutely nothing for any film.  Luckily in this film it used very little.
     I do recommend Splinter to any one who likes horror movies and the use of practical effects.  Acted very well with a small cast.  Just check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment