Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Future Is Not Set......

     I am gonna come right out and say that Terminator 2 is in my top 5 favorite films of all time, and that's saying something because I actually like an absolute ton of movies.  I am a bit bias as well because of this fact.  In my most honest opinion I have to say this is the greatest sci-fi, action film ever produced.  This is the film that all other movies(action, sci-fi) pre and post will be compared to.
     So maybe I 'm not the person to review this film but I did just watch the Blu-ray edition that is pictured above.  I remember being a 14 year old boy and getting ready for school when my father came to me and said "you ain't going to school today boy!".  I didn't understand why until he told me he was bringing me to see Terminator 2:Judgment Day....on opening day.  After watching it I felt like I had just seen the greatest cinematic masterpiece of all time.  This was one of the very few times in my life that the hype of the movie was spot on, the 7 year wait for it was worth it and I was genuinely satisfied from watching it.  Now that I think back this was the only film I ever saw that I had no criticism for at first, just plain happiness.
     So what has changed in 22 years since it's release and my first viewing?  Not a whole lot really.  Well first I have to mention that there is 2 different versions of the movie, one is the theatrical cut and the other is the special edition.  Which is better?  The theatrical cut is what I originally fell in love with. But when the double disc DVD version came out when I was in the military had an extended version with loads of extra shit in it, I have not watched the theatrical version since.  It is in my honest opinion that the Blu-ray format was created specifically for this film.  Why?  Because this is the beginning of great CGI that still looks good today and with Blu-ray it is clearer and brighter than ever. Special effects are brilliant but there is still a couple of spots in it now, being 22 years old, that are looking a little worse for wear but for the most part....spectacular!
     With the onset of Blu-ray, which only covers the picture and sound really, doesn't do anything for the acting though so actors performance is exactly the way it was.  And you know what?  For an Arny vehicle it is pretty good, few spots stick out but I think those spots are mainly the only newcomer in the cast in Edward Furlong.  I do believe if I am not mistaken this was his first role ever and he plays it well considering that and a few times he just doesn't seem believable to me.  Kinda like he's reading from a card.  Arny is best when he plays a robot anyway so there's a win.  I have a criticism of Linda Hamilton but it isn't her acting and I don't think it's her fault either.  In the first Terminator film she plays a waitress with very soft facial features and a girl-next-door kinda look, all-in-all a beautiful woman.  And not to say she isn't beautiful at the time of part 2 but her character was written to be "hard" if you know what I mean.  Her face is now chiseled tight, she has veins sticking out of her biseps and she is just a badass bitch.  It fits the story but I wish she was the baddass in part 2 with the looks of part 1.  Now Robert Patrick plays the bad mother of all other bad mothers as the T-1000 liquid Terminator. That just sounds badass!  Anyway, he is an even more unstoppable killing machine then Arny's unstoppable killing machine model 101, which is saying something right there.  Patrick plays this character absolutely perfect, very polite and smiling at the beginning then turns to pissed off the more Arny and his pals gets in the way.  But he is one of my all-time favorite villains in all of film.
     The story is a time travel story, as is the first film so you shouldn't think on it too long.  Like how did Skynet come to be?  Well, the scientist based all of Skynet on the chip and arm of Arny's first terminator.  So what they are saying is none of this would have happened if the future never sent anyone back through time to 1984?  In which case the future would never have ever had a terminator to send back because it never existed to begin with.  Okay so say the first movie takes place and Skynet is built off the chip and arm, why didn't the future send a terminator into the past even farther and try to kill Sarah Connor when she was a kid?  Why would they wait till she was a badass and had a little bit of time to train her son, the young John Connor.  They could keep this up for decades in sequels and keep changing the era it is in, it would be like Assassins Creed only with killing machines instead of assassins.  They just need to continue following John Connor's Family tree all the way back. 
     Anyway, enough of me rambling on.  I love this movie even with it's small downfalls.  I recommend this to anyone that just wants to watch "awesome" in it's purest form.

No comments:

Post a Comment