Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mannequin (1987) Review


     I really do pity anyone that doesn't watch 80's movies because you are missing out on some classics.  I will admit that most of the 80's films aren't acted well and maybe they don't have the best special effects by a long shot but most of them are so much fun and they make me laugh!  Laughter is good for the soul afterall and when I want to laugh I just watch any number of 80's films.  This is another film type that was discontinued and it's a shame, 80's films I mean.  I know the 80's are long over but that doesn't mean we can still have plain old fun films to watch.  Maybe I just have a soft spot for these movies because I was raised in the decade in question.  If I had to choose one decade of film to watch for the rest of my existence it would be this one.
     This is starring a bunch of people.  Andrew McCarthy is an 80's staple and he has quite a few great films under his belt including this one.  He always kinda plays the same person in all his films but I can overlook that because they are pretty good films.  The other big star is Kim Cattrall and she is great on the eyes but her acting is...well...80's acting?  I say that because the 80's were full of goofy overacting type ways, almost as if they are letting you know they are only acting.  On a different note with the acting, Meshach Taylor plays Hollywood, and he is awesome at it.  He plays the part of a gay mannequin window dresser and he is hysterical in this every time he is on screen.  There is another character that actually isn't an actor at all but just makes you laugh when he is on screen, Rambo, he is a English Bulldog that is just so cute and funny.  Okay, so I may have a soft spot for Bulldogs seems as I have one but he really is funny.
     The story is weird to say the least.  I mean it is easy to follow as it's not a confusing film but I don't believe something like it has been done before.  Maybe it was just so odd that it wasn't done again and the writers don't have too many credits to their names either.  This was the best of the credits as well.  The quick version is it's about a time traveling Egyptian that becomes a mannequin in the American 1980's.  Like I said...odd! 
     Anyone that just wants to have a good time watching a film that doesn't require much thought should definitely check this out.  It is kid safe but just be warned that alot of mannequins are nude and they are realistic on the top half.  So, just enjoy a good 80's comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment