Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Oculus (2013) Review


     A horror movie and the bad guy is a...ummm...mirror?  Yes, indeed that is exactly what we get with this film.  I suppose Hollywood has done the mirror thing before but I don't remember it being like this one at all.  
     The first reason why I wanted to even see this film is it was starring two of my favorite ladies from a couple of my favorite TV shows.  One of them is Katee Sackhoff and you may remember her from Battlestar Galactica or the more recent film, Riddick.  She so far has never let me down and she doesn't here either.  There are a few times where she does some creepy, scary shit but she does it well.  The other woman is Karen Gillan, and you may remember her as being The Doctor's companion from Doctor Who seasons five through seven.  She does a great job here but there are a few times when her real accent kinda seeps through a bit.  Which I gotta say it doesn't really bother me much because I really love her real accent, it adds to her attractiveness.  Other than the accent thing she does a good job playing a woman that seems to have some type of mental trouble.  There is a few others in this film but they just seem like little side characters, or maybe it was just me watching the leading ladies.
     As far as psychological horror movies go this is pretty okay.  There is some really good creepy parts, and I really mean creepy.  For example the vase...remember the vase!  A couple good jumps involved here as well.  Just a couple though because as I said it is a psychological horror film instead of a slasher film.  It does excel in that area so I guess it did it's job.  The effects involved are mainly blood and distorted faces.  Just enough to creep you out when they take place.
     Even though it has two woman I enjoy watching and they do do very well in this film I still do not know what to think of this film.  Yeah, it is creepy as hell at times but I am a fan of a film that explains shit.  This movie explains nothing,  Yeah you get to find out what happened to the two siblings but you never get to find out anything about the mirror.  Oh yeah, spoilers, my bad.  But it really is extremely annoying when they don't explain the main antagonist of a film.  Maybe they wanted it to be a mystery so you keep asking questions.  I hate that.  I just want to watch a film that has a beginning, middle and an end and explains everything in the middle.  You know, a proper story!
     I can recommend it to people that like creepy but for anyone that enjoys full stories then just bypass this one.  Definitely don't have your children watch it unless you want them sleeping with you for 3 weeks and they'd probably never want to see a mirror til they are 18. 

No comments:

Post a Comment