Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) Review!


     Since I was a little kid I always had a soft spot for the old "after school" cartoons.  Most everybody I know calls these cartoons the "Saturday Morning" type.  I don't remember them as that, as I said before they were always on after school.  And they were always on in succession.  I do not remember the order but it was always G.I.Joe, He-Man, Silverhawks, Thundercats, C.O.P.S. and Transformers.  So naturally, I have been drawn into the Transformers live action films.
     So this review I will begin with saying I was thoroughly entertained.  I know most people will just complain about this film but I don't really have much in that department for this one.  So the acting is done at least as well as anyone can expect from Marky Mark...I mean Wahlberg.  He does have the acting range of a person with a real crappy acting range.  But in this film he plays a dad, which is new for his acting even though he has kids in real life.  Luckily for him, his daughter in the movie was Nicola Peltz, and while she is like 19 years old and a newcomer to Hollywood, I will throw this out there...she will have a long career and it will be based off her looks and not her talent.  She did play a believable teenager and she should have seems as she is one.  Stanley Tucci is the runaway talent and he steals the show from the main characters.  He starts out as a real asshole but about 2/3 of the way through he is a fun character to have on screen.  Jack Reynor plays the boyfriend of Peltz' character and to tell the truth he really shouldn't be an actor because he is not believable one bit in this flick.  And the fact that the writers thought that a Transformers movie must have a love interest story mashed in with them, it doesn't help here.  I kinda wish they would just stop putting that into every movie.  If I wanted to watch a love story I would watch any one of the millions of films that are dedicated to the genre.  But I wanted to watch a bunch of robots destroy shit and not have a stupid love story thrown in for good measure.
     The writing could use some help a bit because like in the previous paragraph, it is a robot movie with a love story.  Hollywood feels the need to put it in everything.  And I do mean everything.  I believe they think that it is impossible to write a good story without a love interest in it.  It is possible here to have accomplished it without that one character.  Could have just made it a movie about a man trying to protect his daughter.  So what's wrong with a family story in it, when that was in the original cartoon anyway.  Also with the writers I don't think these people live in the real world at all.  What is with every character being this quick witted douche bag all the time.  I don't know about you but if I were in the middle of a war between two alien species, where both sides can just step on you they are so big, I wouldn't be thinking about witty crap to say to make people laugh.  I mean I do that on a regular basis but I am not in the middle of the previously mentioned war.  So do the writers live where the rest of us do?  Why can't we just get a film about two robotic alien factions without comedy relief? Some films I can believe when comedy relief is mixed in but some times it feels outta place for me, this being one of those times.
     The special effects are phenomenal and by themselves is worth the price of admission.  They are spectacular to say the least and I will continue to watch this movie for years to come because of them alone.  The Dinobots finally get brought into the pot and They are so friggin' cool, if only way too underused, and their story actually just seems like the filmmakers made a movie and they decided to add the Dinobots after the fact so they sandwiched the film with them.  It is a long movie and the Dinobots are only in it for about 20 minutes and they are the main things you see on the trailers for this picture.
     I will reiterate that I did like this film a lot and I know I said I had nothing to complain about but I guess I did in the end actually.  It is a very fun film for action fans and for anyone else I would tell them to watch it if you can handle non stop action.  It is very long and 3/4 of it is mainly fighting and car chases and robots.  That part I liked about it.  Let me know in the comments what you thought of it!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment