Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2014

Brick Mansions (2014) Review


     I can remember the first time I saw a Paul Walker film.  I was staying in a hotel in the summer of 1998 and was bored so I decided rent a movie from the front desk.  The only movie they had at the time that I had not seen was Pleasantville, and I really had no interest in it at all.  But, from sheer boredom, I watched it and am so happy I did.  I love the film and have watched it many times.  The first time, I had no idea who Paul Walker was and it wasn't until Varsity Blues came out that I started to pay attention to him and remember his name.  This film is Paul Walker's final, fully finished film although the next installment of Fast and Furious is still to come out, he did in fact pass away before he finished it.    
     So, this film is actually a remake...surprise, surprise!  It's all Hollywood can manage now it seems.  The original is a French film called District B13 and I really enjoyed that film immensely.  I won't go into any detail about the differences between the two movies because that is not the purpose of this review.  Paul Walker obviously stars in it and he does a good job as being pretty much the same character he always plays.  I wouldn't say he is a bad actor but his range was pretty lacking.  But the characters he did play I always enjoyed watching.  David Belle is the other main actor and he is okay if it wasn't for the God awful voice over with Vin Diesel's voice.  Yes, if you look the film up, that's exactly what it was.  Apparently, Belle's accent is so think with French that Americans couldn't understand him.  That wasn't the major problem with the actors.  The problem was Hollywood feels the need to put The RZA in movies as if he is an actor.  He plays the films antagonist and he has the acting ability of a cold rock.  His facial expression barely changes, it stays a constant "Lost Puppy" type of way.  He should never ever act again. 
     There is next to no special effects unless you call all the action scenes special effects.  I do not.  The action scenes are pretty damn awesome and fun to watch.  Belle is obviously a parkour master and he shows his talent for it throughout the entire film.  The amusing parts come from Belle and Walker running away from the bad guys and Belle does some fancy move to get over a wall and Walker just crashes through the roof over the wall.  The chase scenes are really cool to watch and they are very upbeat.
     I can say I did like this film and probably will watch it a few times during my life but I will always hate The RZA.  I think that action junkies will like this movie a lot  but as far as anyone else is concerned, there is no other redeeming factor.  Good for a once over I will say.  Let me know what you think about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment