Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Halloween H20 (1998) Review!

     I can Honestly say that Slasher films are among my all-time movie sub genres.  I don't think I can explain why.  I have been watching them for as long as I can remember, well ever since my best friend growing up's parents got their entire video store inventory sitting in their living room.  I did watch movies before that and also watched slashers before but when this happened I got to see pretty much everyone of them.  Even the incredibly bad ones.  Funny thing is I love those ones as well and will still watch them from time to time.  The original Halloween is considered one of the greatest horror films in existence and it deserves the label.  I obviously didn't see it when it was released because I was about a year and a half old at the time but that didn't stop me from watching it a shit ton of times when I was first able to.  I mean really, when you look at it Michael Myers gave birth to the modern day slasher.  Yeah, we did get Leatherface five years earlier but he wasn't considered a slasher until the sequel.  But Myers and Leatherface do make up two of the big four slashers.  The other two being Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger.  Without these four we wouldn't have the Scream series or the Hatchet series among some others.
     The original Halloween and the first sequel both take place on the same night.  Both are awesome films in their own right.  A slew of sequels happened after this, including one that didn't include Michael Myers at all.  But of the sequels I think H20 is my favorite one.  I love how the writers brought back Laurie Strode and played by Jamie Lee Curtis, which all should remember for getting her start in Hollywood with Halloween to begin with.  This film takes place exactly 20 years after the original two films.  And that is another thing I love about this film.  It brings up some nostalgia and also adds new stuff to the mix.  But all should be warned right off, if you're new to the genre then know this...acting is not the first priority!  Well, with the exception of Curtis, who does a good job most always.  Everyone else is just passable.
     There are really no special effects other than a bit of blood and a crushed leg but this sequel is done similar to the first two.  What I mean by that is they are made to leave something to the imagination.  You don't need to see the flesh and bones being ripped in every movie.  These films are made to be scary and jumpy not gory, and in that they accomplished their mission.  
     I have a favorite scene in this movie just like I do for pretty much every other movie but the scene in this is quite simple.  There is a part when Michael Myers finally makes himself known to the main characters.  Laurie Strode comes face to face with her brother but is only separated by a small round window.  This is such a dramatic scene because she hasn't seen him in 20 years.  I love that part.
     I think everyone who loves slasher films and non-gory horror will love this.  anyone that likes the first couple Halloween movies should definitely see it if you haven't already.  The scares aren't really all that scary so if you were on the fence about this one don't worry, you don't need all the lights on for this one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment