Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Incredible Hulk (2008) Review


     I believe I have mentioned this before but I will say it again, since I was able to walk my favorite superhero was The Hulk.  I don't know what it is about him that has always drawn attention.  Maybe because he is just bigger and stronger than any other.  It started with the T.V. show from the late 70's starring Lou Ferrigno and Bill Bixby but it wasn't til I started to read the comics that I noticed that Bixby has the wrong name.  I still do not have a definitive answer as to why they decided to change his name.  It wasn't something big but it went from Bruce Banner to David Banner.  I still love the show but it is just something that has bothered me.  In 2003 Hollywood decided to finally bring the big guy to the big screen and while it still made a ton of money during its theatrical run it was still considered a flop.  I liked it a lot but it was still missing something and, to this day, I cannot figure it out.  It did have some very good parts in it like the awesome desert scene where Hulk fights a group of tanks.  I will admit it does have a few slow parts and those are really not what people want from a Hulk film.
     In 2008 Hollywood gives the big green guy another shot at stardom.  This time they say it isn't a sequel but it isn't a reboot either.  So this time around instead of Eric Bana as Banner we have Edward Norton in the lead.  He does a great job, and very believable job, as the scientist turned anti-hero.  You can actually believe him as a scientist during the scenes where he is trying to cure himself and the fact he did the motion capture for the Hulk didn't hurt.  It really is too bad I read he was a major pain in the ass on set and during the entire production for that matter.  Tim Roth plays Emil Blonsky which in turn becomes one of the Hulk's greatest foes as Abomination.  He does a fantastic job playing the secondary villain, and his ability to really seem as though he is going a bit crazy is spot on.  All others do at the very least a decent job.
     When it comes to the effects I can say that 80% are done so incredibly well and believable that you won't bat an eye when they take place.  There are a few times where the effects team apparently were on a smoke break.  For instance there is a spot in which Hulk is carrying Betty Ross and it is raining out, his feet are going through puddles but it just looks bad.  Another part that looks terrible is when Emil Blonsky is shown with his shirt off after a few treatments of the Captain America serum and his body looks to be in better shape...it looks so bad.  But when Abomination shows up for the films finale he looks awesome and Hulk, himself looks pretty spectacular.
     This film was done well in all aspects but I just have a problem with them not having Hulk's origin correct.  I haven't figured out yet why when they make a film based on an existing property they can't just make it the way it was originally written to begin with.  It's annoying to say the least.  I blame Kevin Feige for most of the stupid changes in the recent Marvel comics movies.  The reason I blame him for the stupid things is he is the President of Marvel Comics and he has they say on how these things transpire.  I guess he doesn't think the original stories were good enough so he feels the need to change them all, and I mean all of them in some way shape or form.
     I can honestly recommend this to anyone that likes the comic book films but to anyone that likes the comic books themselves have to go in with an open mind because there is bound to be something that was changed that you will notice.  Anyone that likes a good Sci-fi actioner will like it I think because there are a few good action scenes in it.
     Let me know what you think of this film or any of the comic books films in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment