Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Murder At Alcatraz! A True Story.........Kinda!


     I can remember watching this in the theater when I was in high school and I also remember being highly moved after the viewing.  I had seen it a few times since then but it wasn't until recently that I got the itch to view it again.  That itch came from a day of scrolling through Netflix for something to watch when I came to a documentary about the escape from Alcatraz in the summer of 1962.  I have always been interested Alcatraz and the escape from said prison as well.  I have seen the film based on it starring Clint Eastwood and have seen the Unsolved Mysteries episode based on it too.  I just find it plain interesting.  So, I watched this documentary and instantly got in the mood to watch some good prison and courtroom type films.  Murder In The First was my first choice.
     This film is starring Kevin Bacon, as the inmate, Christian Slater, as his lawyer and Gary Oldman, as the Assistant Warden of Alcatraz.  All 3 of the main actors do a phenomenal job in the respective roles.  Bacon really makes you feel for his character and I mean really feel sorry for him.  Very believable!  Now Oldman may only be the supporting actor but I believe he steals the show because he makes you hate him with the utmost intensity!
     As the films original marketing campaign said it is inspired by a true story.  "Inspired" is really what they meant.  After this viewing I decided to look up the whole true story and it really wasn't as heart wrenching as the films.  The film has Kevin Bacon's character sent to Alcatraz after stealing five dollars to feed his younger sister so naturally one would start feeling sorry for him.  In reality, the real man the film is based on was sent there for murder to start.  As good as the film is knowing this made it so I didn't feel anything for the character in the film.  I guess it ruined it just a little bit for me, so I think I just ruined it for anyone reading this.  Also, on the same subject it was called the case that closed Alcatraz, when in actuality the story is from the early 1940's and The Rock didn't close until 1963.
     There are no special effects to speak of because this film is mainly a courtroom drama.  There are a couple of scenes that have blood but the cause of the blood is mostly happening off screen.
     I think all who like a good courtroom drama should see this film as it is a very engaging story regardless of the true story.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment