Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

No Women, No Kids...Who You Think This Is Gonna Kill? Donkeys And Monkeys?



     This film is in my top ten films of all time.  So, as it stands at this moment I have 2 of the 10 in my top ten taken care of.  Still working on the rest, there are alot of films out there so don't rush me, I will finish it eventually.  I get off track kinda easy eh?  So anyway about this film.  There are no perfect movies but this one really is as close to perfection as you can get.  It is really such an amazing film throughout.
     Directed by Luc Besson, the guy behind some very good movies like La Femme Nikita and the Fifth Element.  He also has written tons of great films, to name a few, the Transporter films, Unleashed, Taken and Colombiana.  There are more than that but I figured if you cared you can just look them up yourself.  In all his awesome movies I still believe this is his crowning achievement.  The direction is absolutely perfect and never falters.  Dramatically perfect, psychologically perfect and the action scenes are pretty damn intense.
     What can I say about the actors?  I believe this may be the second film I ever saw Jean Reno in and the first one with him speaking English.  Since this, he really hasn't impressed me at all.  He plays the title character to a tea.  He really does make you feel like he has no heart at the beginning of the film and then shortly after all you can see is heart.  Natalie Portman was cast at the age of 11 but it seems as though she has been acting for years.  I don't ever think that child actors are ever good, mainly because they haven't gotten any real experience yet, but Miss Portman is like a seasoned vet in this film.  In a film of spectacular acting I still believe that Gary Oldman is the stand out, and he is in it way less then the rest.  He plays the psychotic DEA agent Stansfield and shows the viewer just how crazy a man in power can be.  Just maniacal to the utmost extreme.  I remember the first time I saw Gary Oldman in a movie and it was in Sid and Nancy, from that moment on I have paid strict attention to his career.  One hell of an actor this one.
     As I said at the beginning no film is actually perfect but this is close.  The things I find wrong with it are 2 minor things.  1: The hooker-like-chick-dude-thing at the start.  That chick just looks like a tranny to me, absolutely not attractive at all.  2: The dude with the dreadlocks is ridiculous, thankfully he is only in it maybe 5 minutes.  I just refuse to use his name he likes to go by because that is equally as stupid as a white guy with dreadlocks!
     There are 2 different versions of this film and like all movies with 2 versions one is vastly superior.  I saw the American version in the theater when it first came out and I absolutely loved it.  A few years later I got ahold of the International Cut and I have to tell you I hate the American ratings system.  They chopped so much from this film to the point of almost changing the story.  Very not pleased with that.  This second version is the superior one.  If you ever get a chance to see this do not look the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment