Search This Blog

Monday, April 28, 2014

Obviously The "Spirit Of Vengeance" Wasn't Paying Attention!



     This is gonna be a review without a review.  I am just gonna ask some questions really and I believe through the course of those questions you will understand what I am trying to get at.  
     First things first, I know that this film is based on a Marvel comic.  Based is all!  This film isn't in the Marvel cinematic universe like the Captain Americas, Iron Mans and Thors.  It really is a shame because I believe if it were it would actually resemble the character a bit more.  Marvel doesn't always make the characters they have invented to perfection though and 1 that I will say is The Mandarin, 100% botched, but that is an entire post in itself.  The only thing that makes this a Ghost Rider film is that there is a dude with a skull for a head and it is on fire.  I didn't hate the first Ghost Rider picture but it was just okay.  
     Why did the production company think even for a minute that the 2 guys responsible for the Crank series would be good fits for a Marvel film?  Yes, this movie was messed up by not 1, but 2 directors!  So if you have one crappy director and you have one terrible director, what do you have when you put them together?  One terribly crappy directing team.  I will be surprised if these 2 ever have another job in Hollywood ever again!
     I know they were kinda stuck with the "star" of the film as it is a part 2, but my question still exists.  Why on this huge planet did someone think that Nicolas Cage was a good fit for The Ghost Rider?  For one he is about 100 years too old to play this part.  For two HE CANNOT ACT!  He proves without a doubt in this film alone that he should just hang up his coat and disappear!
     The camera?  Why do people that work in Hollywood think its cool to film with that godforsaken shaky cam?  It does absolutely nothing to increase the coolness of the film.  It completely ruins all films for me.  Some filmmakers say it brings realism to the film.  WTF?  How is shaking around like you have Parkinson's bring realism?  I know for me, when I am just standing there and I am watching say, a car drive by, my head isn't constantly shaking and it looks plenty real to me.
     David S. Goyer.  So let me get this straight.  Mr. Goyer, the writer behind such films as The Dark Knight trilogy, Man of Steel, the Blade trilogy and a few other good films decided to not read the Ghost Rider series when he wrote this?  He thought he would just wing it?  I don't know if the world knows this but there are fans of Ghost Rider out there.  They think noone would notice?
     One more thing on this subject.  How is it that a film with bad directors, bad writers and bad actors can get greenlit when the previous outing, which was miles better, didn't so so well at the box office?  I am completely stumped at this.
     Okay so it isn't all bad.  There is one redeeming factor in this movie but it happens to be halfway done right.  The special effects?  When Nic Cage is in full Ghost Rider form he looks damn cool.  The bubbling leather on his shoulders is way cool, as is the skull and fire.  But, with the good you gotta have the bad.  There are still alot of just nasty looking fake effects.  So apparently the folks who edited this film missed some spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment