Search This Blog

Monday, April 28, 2014

What Was That?


     Never...Ever...Ever, would a movie like this get made in the United States.  I am thankful it is available here because I watch anything and I especially like the fact that films made in other countries aren't subjected to the same terrible rating system we have here in the States.  Some other countries do have a ratings system but they aren't nearly as strict.  Japan is a bit different though, I have found they can pretty much do whatever it is they want to get their story made right.
     I will warn everyone at the gate that this film is absolutely not right for everyone!  I enjoy a sadistic film every once in a while.  In my eyes, why watch only the happy films?  If every so often you throw in a film that is as jacked as this then you really learn to appreciate the films that are happy endings. It also makes you appreciate life as a whole too.  I say that because all humans should count their lucky stars they don't have a person like Kakihara living next door to them, or the title character for that matter.  This film has some incredibly uncomfortable scenes involving mutilation and rape.  It doesn't show the particulars of the rape (good thing) but you can tell what is going on.  The entire picture is pretty unrelenting, it goes from one thing to something worse five minutes later.
     Don't look for good special effect though because if the Asian filmmakers are bad at anything it is effects.  They have always been able to do martial arts, drama and crazycrazy, but fall too short when it comes to effects.  The practical ones aren't too bad but they aren't too good either.  Now, when it comes to the computer effects they are, in a word, laughable.  They are so bad in fact that that I've seen better CGI in a made for TV movie...in the 80's!  I am not over simplifying them at all, they really are that bad.
     I think all the actors may possibly be doing a good job but I really cannot tell because when the disturbing things start showing up you completely stop paying attention to such things and reach for a bible because this film makes you want to pray, not after viewing, but during it. I'm not even religious and I felt like there is a darkness on the world that only Jesus can fix!
     You have been warned!  And, mind you, this is one of the more gentle foreign movies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment