Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

What's His Name? Doctor Who? Exactly!




     I have watched a few many television shows in my day.  A lot of those shows I have seen in their entirety.  But only very few of all those have I seen multiple times.  And of those very few I can name maybe 2 that I have seen more than twice.  One of those shows is I Love Lucy, so whenever I feel like laughing, which is not all that often, I rewatch a few random episodes and am right as rain again!  But only one show has kept my attention no matter how many times I watch.  Doctor Who!  As much as I love the old school Who, I have enjoyed the newer versions immensely.  Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith have made this one of my favorite shows I have ever seen.  As of right now I am on the fourth viewing from the beginning.  Most of the time when I want to watch a show, I will put in the one episode that struck my fancy at the time.  Not with The Doctor though!  I don't have to watch it from the complete beginning but I choose to because it is really that good.

     I remember when I was a kid my father used to watch the classic Doctor Who series.  I always just thought that one man played him.  That one man was Tom Baker.  You know the guy with the huge curly hair and incredibly not-so-cool scarf with its rainbow coloring.  Regardless of these downfalls I fell in love with the style of the show and the fact he can travel through time and space.  It wasn't until years later that I would realize that Baker was just one of many people to ever be The Doctor.  He just happened to always be the one on the tv, I guess, when I would always catch my dad watching it.
     
     
     In 2005 I remember hearing about a new version of the show.  It really wasn't a new version, but a continuation of the previous series.  Although, the producers started the new series with a "Series 1", it really is just continuing the story.  I didn't even see this series til series 2 was well underway.  Christopher Eccleston was the reason I wanted to watch it.  It got me hooked like a crack addict!  He was great in the title role.  But, he would only last during season one.  I knew this bit of information going in but I still didn't want him to leave.  Leave he did though!  
     

     Season 2 started the beginning of the greatest stretch the show ever had.  With The Doctor's regeneration we were given David Tennant.  I absolutely hated this decision.  I wanted Eccleston back!  I did decide to continue watching and, I have to admit, I made a hasty decision.  Shortly after the show hit the midway point of the first episode of season 2, I was again hit with a drug I couldn't shake.  David Tennant has been the longest running Doctor yet, if only by a few episodes, he is still the longest.  And he happens to be my favorite of all time!  His regeneration at the end of his long run is very sad and pulls at the heart strings!
     

     Season 5 was to bring a new Doctor, and yet again I hated to see the previous one go.  I thought to myself how can the show possibly out do what it had done in the past?  I was wrong again!  This time though it took me to the end of the first episode to be a convert.  I still love Tennant the most but Matt Smith has really taken The Doctor and made him so incredibly different than previous generations.  I have never really thought that bow ties are cool but he pulled it off nicely.   His regeneration isn't like Tennant's in the least, this one kinda just happens but isn't sad.  I have to admit that I didn't want to see him go nonetheless.  I grew to love this version too but not as much as his predecessor.
     At some point this year we will see the beginning of a new era in the show.  Peter Capaldi will start his stretch as the title character.  I am dreading and also looking forward to this with a very high degree of intensity.  I have never seen a show, that with each new generation, I want to hate and to love it all the same.  So, that is why I haven't had any new film reviews because I felt the need to watch The Doctor.  I will recommence the reviews shortly so bare with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment