Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Beware The Man Who Brings The Jaguar!


     I am gonna say this outright...my knowledge of the Mayan civilization is very minimal.  I can tell you one thing for sure about their history...they made some really cool architecture, art and jewelry.  Like I said, minimal.  As far as the historical accuracy goes for this film I can't talk about because I am absolutely ignorant to the truth of the matter.  Another thing I am certain of though, is this is an amazing film from start to finish.  It is just a hair over 2 hours long but really feels like it's about a half hour.  A very intriguing story that has been done many times before but not to the extent of this film.  It goes beyond realism in the way that it almost seems like a documentary.  It's not a documentary but feels so real like you are watching the lives of these particular tribesman unfold and someone just happened to have a camera to witness it.
     Acting?  I will use the only word I can to describe this.  It's a word I have used to death but for some reason it comes in handy a lot.  That word is "Awesome"!  I personally have never seen any of the actors before.  So, a film with a huge cast of completely unknowns should have completely bombed and been just terrible.  Not here!  Every person in this should get the recognition they deserve for making this one of the very best in film history.  A few key standouts though are Gerardo Taracena, who makes you pray for his death the entire time he is on screen, Jonathan Brewer, for some of the best show of emotion I have ever seen, and Rudy Youngblood as the leading cast member, who shows the world that extreme fear can bring on extreme courage.
     This film is directed by Mel Gibson.  Now, now before you go and already discount this movie because his name is attached, you got to finish reading what I have to say first.  Well you don't "got to", but I am asking you to.  Not only did he direct but he has a writing credit as well.  I mean obviously he wasn't the only writer as he had a co-writer and I can imagine that the other writer was the one with the knowledge of how life may have been for the Mayans.  Again, not sure.  Even before Mel Gibson became that crazy guy yelling obscenities at cops and the like, he was an amazing film maker.  Whether he was in front of the camera  or behind noone can say he was bad at his job.  Most definitely not a person to admire in his personal life but that's not what's on trial here.  What is? Is that the man knows his way around a film camera.  Outstanding job!
     Make-up and effects I will put together here because for a picture like this they really go hand-in-hand.  This film should have won an award for it's spectacular make-up all around.  All the effects used are most believable.  From the first time I watched this film I have been amazed at just how real everything seems.  Some points seem so real that they are kinda hard to watch.
     I will re-enforce that I love this movie.  I have watched it many times and it doesn't seem to get boring at all even though I know what's coming up.  It is in my beliefs that everyone should watch this at least once in their lives.  Especially if you are a film nut like myself.  I will warn all that it is all subtitled because there is not one word in English, and in its realism there is a lot of nudity and some of the most raw portrayals of violence against humans in a film.  Give it a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment