Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

In Space...Noone Can Hear You Scream!...My Bad! Wrong Film!



     Prometheus!  This movie is one of the type to have no happy medium.  You either hate it and imagine the world of Alien without it, or you love it for what it brings to the table.  I dare say, there are no people that kinda like it.  I love it!  Have since the first time I saw it.  The only thing that has changed in subsequent viewings is I have noticed a lot of discrepancies with this and its connection to Alien of 1979.  I won't talk of all but will mention a few.
     One thing I find terrible about this movie is the acting for the most part.  Not all, but most.  There are a large amount of bad actors and I think they scraped the bottom of the crap barrel for this cast.  There are still a few good ones that put in an honest days work and they are the few that keep me coming back to it.  First good is, as always, Michael Fassbender, who plays the stories android as this series almost always has.  He does such a good job that he eclipses all who played androids from the whole series.  I may get crucified for this one but I believe Noomi Rapace does a very good job as well, not great and award winning by any stretch of the imagination but I think she is gonna be remembered in second place, right behind Ripley!  She is a rather odd looking bird I must say, but there is something about the way she says "Charlie" that is just cute as hell.  For the most part all others are, I wouldn't say forgettable, because you will remember how bad they were.  I will mention one in particular, Sean Harris, he should just retire now.
     This movie was directed by the great Ridley Scott.  This is the man that brought us Alien to begin with.  So, it is only fitting that he comes back to the genre that made his name known.  First things first Mr. Scott, take all the writers behind a shed and shoot them now as to stop them from ever writing another syllable ever, ever again!  Maybe not literally shoot them but don't have them control what could be the greatest origin story in film history!  The writing in this is really that bad that I wouldn't trust these fellas writing a commercial for adult diapers!  How are the scientist supposed to be believable when they do by far the dumbest things in the environment that is presented.  I understand the whole speed up of evolution thing and I think that part of the story was good.  But, if this is supposed to be an origin story for the Alien, and you get to see the first one ever born, then how is it that when the characters get in the room with the huge head there is a humongous stone carving of an Alien queen on the wall?  How did Ridley allow that to pass into this picture?  I did however love the "Space Jockey" partial back story.  Very cool indeed!
     The effects are mostly done via CGI, although there are still a few from practical means.  This film has some of the industries best sci-fi effects in recent years.  Right up there with Avatar in my opinion.  I could rewatch this movie over and over again just for the sheer awesomeness of the effects.  You can tell a great deal of detail went into them and it is just upsetting that the same can't be said for the choice in actors or writers.
     I do love Prometheus and I would recommend it to anyone that likes sci-fi films in general.  If you account for all the plot holes contained then just watch it as a stand alone film and not part of the Alien series.  And for the record, Charlize Theron, if you change direction a bit you won't get crushed!  More of that fantabulous writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment