Search This Blog

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Silent.....But Special!

   


     I returned home from work today and just had a feeling to watch something with some cool special effects in it.  At the moment of the searching for a film to watch it didn't matter to me what style of special effect was in it.  Whether it is Practical, Stop motion or Computer Generated, I really don't have a preference, just sometimes I am leaning more to one than the other.  Today...not so much! I just wanted something entertaining but included special effects in some way.
     So, while looking through my own personal Netflix, what I mean by that is my personal collection. I came across Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow.  Seen it a few times back in the day but I remember thoroughly enjoying it then so why not now?  
     I won't get into actors names because they all do the same thing, and that is make you believe you're watching some type of sci-fi film from the 1950's.  But, all the actors could be replaceable by any other actor because nobody was gonna win any awards for acting.  In its defense though, It is done well considering the type and style of film it is.
     Story for this one is fairly straight forward so it contains all the usual styles that go together, like science fiction, action, a spot of drama and a large helping of religion.  But don't let that deter you from watching this flick because the religious part is really a bit like Noah's Ark, only instead of a boat it's a space ship.  
     I have arrived at the special effects part of this of which there is a ton.  I am pretty certain that 98% of this film was filmed on a green screen.  I believe the only thing not generated by a computer is the actors.  In my honest opinion, I like the style of CGI that is used because the film makers weren't going for realism, they were going for a science fiction look.  Kinda like a impossible to be real but in the universe of this film only improbable and a few people alive in it can pull it off, if that makes any sense at all.  It did in my head when I thought it.  The effects give it a film noir style reminiscent of the 1950's films it is taking its style from.
     As far as a recommendation I would have to say it isn't for everyone but I highly enjoyed it through multiple viewings.  Science Fiction fans of the old style will get a kick out it I think.  And if you like the old sci-fi style and haven't seen or heard of this picture then shame on you.  I will reiterate that it isn't for everyone, but I liked it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment