Search This Blog

Friday, April 25, 2014

Retaliation?...For The First Film!


     I couldn't tell you why I wanted to watch this!  Maybe it is because since I was a little kid and G.I. Joe became a hit cartoon in 1985 I have loved it.  It took a very long time for Hollywood to finally make a Joe movie.  And what did they do with it?  Botched the whole darn thing up.  Well the first one got botched really bad to the point of being just terrible.  How could the film makers make Cobra Commander and Duke friends?  How could they think making The Baroness a love interest of Duke and make her the Commander's sister just brainwashed into being evil?  There really are too many downfalls in the first film to count.  I still, after all that, think that Rise of Cobra was a pretty okay action film but G.I. Joe it was not!
     So onto the movie at hand.  This particular review may end up being a bit scatterbrained throughout so bare with me people.  This movie has some really cool action set pieces!  Lots of explosions and bullets flying this way and that.  When we get to see Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow a lot through the whole film it is pretty spectacular, and lets face it, who doesn't want to see 2 ninjas kicking ass.  The film has some okay special effects, passable, but okay none-the-less.
     Some characters have been traded up for, in my eyes, much better characters.  I can say this though, at least they didn't just get a new actor or actress and try to pass them off as the same character like so many other films.  I was in fact sad to see Scarlet go because Rachel Nichols is quite something to look at and she actually can act.  She was replaced by Adrianne Palicki, who plays Lady Jaye, and at least Nichols had someone equally as sexy to take her place.  I am happy with it but I still would like to see Nichols in it cuz there are not too many people from my home state that make it, and she happens to be one of them.  Cobra Commander actually has a new actor playing him but it really doesn't matter too much because he wears a mask through about 99% of the movie.  I have to say that the film makers did a great thing by giving him one of his iconic uniforms in this one because in Rise they destroyed what made him cool, and that really was his masks.  It was awesome to have Dwayne Johnson make an appearance as Roadblock.  I have been a fan of his ever since his early wrestling days and he just gets more entertaining as the years go by.  I was very happy to see Duke bite the big one near the beginning because as I have been trying to tell people, Channing Tatum cannot act his way out of a box.  He has got to be one of the worlds worst actors of all time and I really mean that.  I have seen a few films with him that would be really good if it wasn't for him.  I can understand that the film makers put him in because they can bring in the female viewers.  Well if that is the reason for it then just please put him in chick flicks because I hate seeing him in action movies and destroying them!
     So, in ending this "review" I will say it's pretty fun but falls short because the people in control of this franchise are apparently not fans of the property.  Just don't expect the real G.I. Joe and go into this with thinking "good action", and you should be okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment