Search This Blog

Friday, May 9, 2014

Again, I Bring You A Remake!


     I have been gone for a few days but I am back online with another remake review.  This time it is another remake of an American classic horror movie.  My mistake, I always mess that up, I mean a re-imagining of an American classic.
     So I won't lie about it, I do like this film immensely and not because it has anything to do with the original Dawn of The Dead that was released in 1978.  But, because it brings other things to the table.  And I tell you what, that zombie table is quite full.  So, what does it bring to the table that is new you ask?  For one it shows us that a modern day horror films can still use prosthetics instead of relying heavily on CGI like fantasy pictures do.  The effects are really good but definitely don't watch it if you are a bit squeamish!  Lots of head shots which is par for the course in a zombie movie.  For all the rest though, even the sprinting zombies have been done before like in 28 Days Later but that is for another post entirely.
     Directed by Zack Snyder and loosely based off of George Romero's original script, and I mean loosely based to the extreme.  The only thing this film has in common with its predecessor is the mall and that is it.  No names are the same, what the people do for a living isn't the same, the zombies obviously aren't the same, what happens through the course of the film isn't the same and the outcome isn't the same.  So like I said, only the mall.  I will never, ever understand why Hollywood feels the need to change all aspects of a movie that was damn awesome to begin with!  I mean, really if you want to make a film that was already made by someone else two and a half decades ago and you feel you can make it better then I am all for it!  But what I have a problem with is when they decide "I want to remake Dawn of The Dead, but want to make it completely not like the other one".  So what they are really saying is they want to make a new film but give it the other films name to capitalize on the title alone.  That's really some kind of cheap! 
     Don't let that previous statement throw you off because this is a good film.  The acting is the same as you would find in any other film on the same subject.  I enjoy this movie to the maximum and would honestly recommend it to anyone that likes zombie type things.  I have to say one last thing in an honorable mention type of way, and that is this picture has a really odd but very good soundtrack to it.  Some real great choices thrown in to make it just a little different from the pack.  For instance I will throw 2 picks out for you right now.  What kind of zombie film starts with Johnny Cash and has Richard Cheese's remake of Disturbed's The Sickness?  An awesome one!

No comments:

Post a Comment