Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

So Much For Creepy Family Secrets!


     I was on a website awhile back that was just chock full of lists about movies.  Lists like top ten of the 90's or 80's, top ten films to not go on a first date to, top ten films with ridiculous characters and other weird things like those.  The particular article I was reading happened to be called Top Ten Films You Will Only Watch Once or something to that effect.  It was filled with films like Human Centipede, Audition and Martyrs.  The Pact was one of them on this list that I had not seen prior to reading it.  So, I naturally had my interest peaked.
     This boils down to a haunted house story.  I don't normally go for these type but I figured after watching the trailer it looked pretty good.  Although this time the haunted story has been changed a bit into something else.  I liked the story but it still seemed like something was missing.  I can't really put my finger on it, it's just how I felt after finishing the film.  But the change in the normal story line for this type of film was very much a welcome site.  But, it does have a few moments that make you ask questions out loud, for instance...How do ghosts know how to use Google maps app on a smartphone?  And if a ghost really needs help from the living, why is it their only way to communicate is to pick that person up and throw them around the room?  I believe that really gets one thing across and that is pure and utter horror.   
     The acting is pretty much your average style for the genre.  And by that I mean it is just that...average!  It gets the point across without being distracting but it definitely wouldn't have hurt if a little more effort was put forth.  It really isn't too bad, there are much worse acted films out there than this one.  It's worth a look see I can tell you that. 
     I can also tell you that I did like this film but will most likely not watch it again unless a large span of time goes by.  Not like it was bad but I am just into a different style of haunted story I guess.  It really does have a few moments worth talking about but I can't talk about them for fear it would give away the story to much.  Why it was on that list I read about?  I'm guessing that the author didn't put it on his list because of the same reason I won't watch it again.  Especially since when compared to the others on that list, this is extremely tame!

No comments:

Post a Comment