Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

There Be Spoilers Ahead!...It Spoiled It For Me


     Okay, I don't really know where to start on this one other to say that I will include spoilers because of what I plan on mentioning.  The trailer for this new Godzilla is very deceiving, as is the case with most trailers anyway but this one is especially so.  The trailer has the title monster in most of it with Bryan Cranston and surprise surprise Mr. Cranston is in the film for maybe 20 minutes at best.  Which that doesn't bother me much anyway seeing how I am not a fan of his to begin with.  The film is actually starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson, which most should know for his role as Kick-Ass.  I do believe the acting is done okay...just okay that is.  Ken Watanabe is seriously underused because in my opinion he is the best of the entire cast.
     Another thing that people who know me already know of is I am a Godzilla fan from way back.  Obviously not as far back as the beginning because I wasn't even alive yet.  But I do love all the old Big G films.  The 98 American one was crap from beginning to end so I was expecting something not even close to that with this new American redo.  I hate to say it but I think they just gave us another shitty American Godzilla.  Maybe that is blasphemous to say for some but you gotta listen to what I have to say about it first.  I may be rambling on some about it and mix a bunch of stuff together so bear with me some.
     First things first though and that is, why are there so many humans in this film?  I mean really, think about it, the movie is called GODZILLA!  So, lets put him in the background when he is doing anything we actually want to see in favor of the humans that noone on the planet went to watch this film to see.  It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  If the filmmakers wanted to make a Godzilla movie that had respect for the original film then maybe they should have made the title character the main character.  He doesn't even show until halfway through and that is only in bits and pieces.  About 3/4 of the way through we get a full body showing and he is a beautiful sight which brings up why did they not want him as the main character?  Something else on the subject of the monster himself, through the entire movie it goes from night to day.  I don't normally have a problem with a film that spans days but I did with this one.  Godzilla shows at night 95% of the time he is on screen.  The very few times he makes an appearance during the day a door closes on the action or they make the humans more important.  It is really upsetting.  When it comes to special effects films, nothing bothers me more than when they make it too dark or too rainy or too foggy or a mixture of the three.  What the filmmakers are trying to say is that their effects people aren't good enough to make it realistic so lets cover it with darkness and other stuff.  I would have loved this movie as it was filmed if they just made it all during the day or maybe lightened the night time scenes a bit. 
     When it comes to the writing of this film I am also in the dislike zone.  During this film the human characters say on multiple occasions that the monsters are attracted to radioactive material and they absorb it also.  With that being said, why did the writers write the humans deciding to make a kill attempt on these monsters with none other than a nuclear device?  Something tells me that isn't going to help and I don't blame the actors for this because they were just reading a script written by a moron.  Yes, I said it, a moron.  As most who have read anything I have written here will know I am not a writer!  But, I do believe I could write a better Godzilla movie than Dave Callaham.  He has nine writing credits and one is for Doom and four are for The Expendables films.  I think he may be one of the worst writers in all of Hollywood.  Okay so maybe that was uncalled for.  He is in the top five crappiest writers in Hollywood.
     I was so excited for this film after I saw the trailers and I said before that was one of the problems with it.  I do understand showing a trailer of a film that makes people want to see it because let's face it Hollywood wants to make money and if they made a trailer of a bunch of people with a monster mostly in the background it wouldn't make any.  And one more thing that's hard for me to say is at least the film Pacific Rim had the monsters and robots front and center.  Not the case with the film that should have had "front and center"...ah...front and center!  But I think I should have believed the posters, here is the theatrical poster.. 
     Both posters I have put here pretty much tell you what your gonna get with this one.  More people and a little bit of monsters.  Also, notice both have alot of fog as well.  I feel cheated!

No comments:

Post a Comment