Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Don't Believe The Negative Hype!


     This picture has been around for 5 years now.  And for 5 years people have been bashing the hell out of it.  I don't know why though because I have seen it a few many times and although after the first viewing it loses about a half a step.  Only reason I say that is because like all films you have watched more then once, you know the ending now so it actually changes the film a bit.  It is still a great film though.  The first time you watch this flick it is incredibly satisfying.
     The actors all do a good job, but then again, Ben Foster has always done a good job in pretty much everything I've seen him in.  Dennis Quaid does what Dennis Quaid has been doing for a few decades now and that is being awesome.  There is in fact one honorable mention and that is Antje Traue.  She practically steals the show, mainly because it is so hard to keep your eyes off her she is so hot.  Most may remember her from the Man of Steel from last year where she played Faora and rocked that role as well.  In all honesty though she could be wearing a potato sack and reciting mid 80's gangster rap and I would be 100% captivated by her.
     The effects are awesome and they are practical when the camera is inside the ship but CGI when outside the ship.  Both look great, but the makeup effects on the..umm..bad guys?  looks fantastic.  Those guys are creepy as hell and I would hate to run into them in an empty spaceship with nowhere to go or even in a giant meadow underneath a rainbow would suck too.
     I love the story, although I don't know who wrote it without looking it up, which at this moment I am feeling too lazy to do.  But just go into this knowing it is written well and overall story when it is all said and done is very good and way different from other sci-fi films in this particular genre.  That genre being sci-fi mixed with horror.
     I left this movie with a hope for more but since it had next to no marketing it kinda flopped in the U.S. box office.  It really shouldn't have either because it is far better then some of the theatrical releases that bring in piles of money.  I would have to say if you liked the film Event Horizon then you will most likely enjoy this.  Maybe not, as I have read about a few that still dislike this one for reasons I just can't see.  But I sure liked it immensely so if you trust me in my movies then give it a shot.  Definitely do not watch it with your children because I guarantee they will have nightmares all week.  Actually now that I think about it, some parts of this can give those same nightmares to an adult.   

No comments:

Post a Comment