Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

His Greatest Battle? When Can We See It?


     I do enjoy, for the most part, all comic book movies for some reason or another.  Some I like way more then the next one and some I dislike even more but I still can find some redeeming factor in all of them.  So that being said I suppose I will chat about the second installment of the Amazing Spider-man.
     Every actor in this film does, at the very least, a decent job.  I thought at first that the choice to make Jamie Foxx play Electro was an odd choice.  Not for his acting talents because he has proven he has the chops in his repertoire, but for the reason that Electro has always been a white character.  I am not racist in the least bit but I have been reading comic books since I could read and when these films are made after stories I read I just want them to stay true to the story and that includes a persons color.  This is where all jump in my business and say I am either racist (even though I just said I wasn't) or they tell me to forget about the source material!  I am sorry because I cannot forget the source material and the reason is that the source material is what made me and millions like me fall in love with these characters.  Now that that has been said, I have to say that Mr. Foxx was absolutely perfect in the role!  He knocked it out of the park, great job indeed.  Andrew Garfield as the title character does a great job as well.  If you were to ask me I would say he is the best choice right now for Peter Parker, he has the correct build and just looks the part.  There is one standout that I will mention and that is Dane Dehaan!  He does a fantastic job as Harry Osborn and the Green Goblin.  He reminds me of a young Brad Pitt or maybe Leonardo Dicaprio.  Fine job, he should have a very long career if he keeps this up.
     Story is written well, even for one containing 3 villains.  Miles ahead of Spider-man 3 anyways but that doesn't take much.  It is a good story about love, teenage life and the most important one, truth.  Truth about his family and what happened to them.  Regardless of what the critics say the story works in the universe created.  I have one big problem with the writing and that is the ending of the film.  How can they be writing this huge action scene and think it was okay to just end the film in the middle of a battle?  That was so not cool.  I understand you want to make a story that can be made into multiple movies but I believe every film, no matter if it is a part 2 or 3, must have a beginning, a climax and an ending that at least ends that little part of the story.  In this day and age of film it is not a guarantee that you will make another sequel.
     Special effects for this kind of film are 99% CGI and are pretty good for the most part.  There are a few times in it that Spidey looks like he is completely breaking the laws of physics  but I find it entertaining as hell to watch so I am okay with it.  Very cool fights scenes throughout the picture and Electro looks like one of the coolest CGI characters I have seen in a long while.
     Overall I would say check it out for the comic book nerd inside all of us.  Just be warned of the surprise ending.  Not like a twist in the ending either, I mean the ending that just surprises you when it shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment