Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Liam Neeson And Hagrid In The Same Film, Sign Me Up!

     Sometimes during the course a a person's lifetime he or she comes across a film that is so incredibly terrible that you can't quite pull yourself away from.  Krull is one of those films for me!  It is so bad it is absolutely awesome!  There are many films like this out there.  Not films like Krull mind you because this is really a one-of-a-kind gem.  I mean there are a ton of "So-bad-it's-good" genre of movies.  This is in my top 3.  Not in any particular order but the other 2 in my top 3 are Beastmaster and Yor, The Hunter From the Future.  So, before I continue, I would like to throw out there that if you haven't seen either of the previously mentioned films then stop right now and go search for them and have a great time having a marathon of crappy fun!
     Starring a bunch of unknowns and a few that will eventually become famous at some point in the future, this picture is produced in a very terrible way.  Not one actor so much as put in any effort to be believable in the least bit.  After school specials are acted better than this.  They should be nominated for Oscars over Krull.  There really is only so much you can say about a film and it's absurd acting so I will stop at that point.
     Some of the effects are kinda neat.  80's neat, but neat none-the-less.  CGI was a thing not really used at the time so this film relies all on practical effects.  I enjoy them anyway.  Some are almost good but mostly they are the other end of the spectrum.  
     I love the story.  It is a mite weird at times and hard to keep up with if you take too many bathroom breaks without using the ever helpful pause button.  This has medieval stuff, space/alien stuff and fantasy all smashed together but I like it alot even though it doesn't know what it wants to be.   Even though the film is as bad as I have said I do think it was written well, just delivered in the worst possible way.
     I would say obviously check out this movie if you like alien invasion films, medieval films, films about cyclops', movies with flying horses, crappy choreography, sword fights and laser battles, flying castles, wizards, gigantic stop-motion spiders and fancy throwing weapons called a Glaive.  Just watch it because you may like it.  I would suggest you watch it before you let kids watch it because there are a few parts of increased creepiness that may give nightmares to the easily susceptible.  But I will tell you that I watched this when I was maybe 7 with my father back when we would record a ton of movies off Cinemax and HBO.  More than likely it was Cinemax because HBO usually deals in newer films back when there was only one HBO station.  A few quick standouts for this movie are it is a very early Liam Neeson role and also Robbie Coltrane.  One more before I end this, the soundtrack was done by James Horner and it is kinda spectacular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment