Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I Can't Wait To See The New Ash! What Do You Mean He's Not In It?

                                          

     I watched this in the theater opening weekend because I was so incredibly stoked for this!  I love horror movies so it kinda seems obvious that I would go see this.  There is one other obvious thing for the reader to understand, and that is this is a remake of the 1981 Sam Raimi film of almost the same name.  "The" Evil Dead was the original title.  Yes, a simple "The" completely changes the whole thing.  Now Sam Raimi has become huge in recent years with  the Tobey Maguire starring Spider-Man films.  He was much better at horror.

     So this remake had alot of buildup involved with it.  Many different trailers were released for it.  Many of those trailers were just incredibly short snippets of the trailers themselves.  But, the filmmakers had a catch phrase during the credits and on most of the posters and that was "The most terrifying film you will ever experience"!  I will give them one thing and that is the buildup was fantastic.  Really draws you in and peaks you interest level.  What I am trying to say is, I fell for it yet again with the remake of a beloved horror franchise.
     I am gonna start with the good first then move through the downward spiral.  There are a few computer generated effects throughout the course of the film but the practical effects completely tip the scales in terms of sheer numbers.  Whichever type of effect is on screen it looks good and believable, a smidge over the top but they look great.
     The acting is decent, especially when you think it is a horror movie, and we all know that horror movies have got a huge reputation for terrible acting overall.  So bad in fact that I dare say Star Wars was acted well in comparison.  I have never seen any actor that appears in this film before and I have only seen one of them since.  But, in their defense, they all do a decent job at making you feel scared and also show the viewer that everyone has a survival instinct because let's face it we all want to live, right?
     The story is similar to the original from '81, not the same so if you love the original like I do then have really low expectations for this and you should be fine.  I had really high expectations and I think it ruined it for me.  I was expecting a remake but instead got a remake/reimagining/sequel hybrid.  I say remake because it has the name and it has a similar premise.  I say reimagining because they changed an incredible amount of stuff.  I say sequel because there are alot of things throughout the entire film that seem like it happened in the time of Ash.  For instance I will say one thing that makes no sense in the remake/sequel continuity and that is...Why is Ash's car out back of the cabin?  All rusted no less, which leads one to believe that he left it there for over 20 years.  Why it makes little to no sense, you ask?  His car being there means part 3 never happened because his car was sent into the void with him and landed back in time with him.  So, technically his car shouldn't be there.  And I guess I will ask one more question while on the subject.  If this is a proper remake, then where is Ash?  The filmmakers took out the best part of the original series.  Or maybe they just believed that the character has become so iconic that he would be impossible to replace and Bruce Campbell is just too old now to play a 20 year old.  Then again, no character has the same name as the previous entries in the series so that seems like a sequel.  I do believe in all honesty I am kinda lost on the subject but I hope I've made my point clear to anyone reading this.
     You should definitely check it out if you like creepy shit because that stuff comes out in droves.  I wouldn't say this film is scary, mainly because I don't really find many movies scary, creepy is the best word I can use at this point to describe what happens here.  I do like this film and will watch it from time to time as I just did but I would prefer the original because in my eyes if you don't have Ash, then you don't have Evil Dead.  One more little thing to add...watch after the credits if you really miss Ash as much as I.

No comments:

Post a Comment